Presidential Augusta Ambassador Leadership Lecture Series - Spring 2021

SPRING SEMESTER 2021

During the Spring 2021 semester, Cohort 5 of the Presidential Student Ambassadors “welcomed home”  ten West Virginia University Order of Augusta recipients who shared their knowledge about leadership and service. By reconnecting with WVU, these ten leaders became Presidential Augusta Ambassadors.

Dr. Christopher Drescher headshot. He is standing in front of a brick wall wearing a grey shirt and has on thin frame round glasses. He has wavy brown hair that is parted down the middle. He is smiling at camera.

Dr. Christopher Drescher (OoA 2009), Associate Professor Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior Medical College of Georgia Augusta University. Dr. Drescher’s presentation was entitled  Diversity and Inclusion in Leadership: Insights from Psychology.

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: It is difficult to choose just one. However, one of the most impactful memories I had was completing a study abroad trip in Tanzania and Uganda in the summer after my junior year. This was my first genuine cultural exchange with people outside of the US and opened my eyes to a broader world. It also directly connected to my dissertation work several years later, which focused on positive youth development in East Africa. In more ways than one, it was a life changing experience

Headshot of Roger Hanshaw wearing a black suite, blue shirt and gold striped neck tie. He has short straight brown hair and is wearing oval thin frame glasses.

Roger Hanshaw, Esq. (OoA 2002), an attorney with Bowles Rice LLC and 58th Speaker of the West Virginia House of Delegates, representing District 33 (Calhoun, Clay and Gilmer Counties).  Speaker Hanshaw shared Thoughts on Leadership:  From Substance to Communication which involved four “mini-case studies” in leadership based on his experiences. 

Headshot of Emma Harrison wearing a purple shirt and black blazer. She has on black frame glasses and long, straight, brown hair. She is smiling at camera.

Harrison:  Emma Harrison (OoA 2019), a paralegal at the Wisconsin State Public Defender's Office, Milwaukee Trial Division, Ms. Harrison shared “What I Wish I Knew When I Attended WVU.”

Favorite Mountaineer Memory:  Winning the Truman Scholarship in April 2018

Photo of Rachel James smiling at camera on a sidewalk. She has short, light brown hair and black frame glasses on.

Rachel James, (OoA 2014), a research civil engineer with FHWA Office of Operations Research and Development discussed “Leadership as a Civil Servant.”

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: My favorite Mountaineer memory was singing Country Roads at Graduation with my fellow engineers. I was very emotional to be leaving WVU, but was so proud of much I accomplished during my time as a Mountaineer. 

Headshot of Trevor Keiss. He has styled short brown hair and a well groomed beard. He has on a light blue button shirt on and is smiling at camera.  

Former Mountaineer Mascot, Trevor Kiess (OoA 2018), currently attending the WVU College of Law, shared his experiences in a presentation titled “The Mountaineer as a Leader.” 

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: My favorite memory is helping folks in Rainelle, West 
Virginia, after the summer 2016 floods.

Head shot of Alanna Markle. She is wearing a black sweater and green shirt. She has curly brown hair and is smiling at camera.

Alanna Markle (OoA 2012) is a Strategic Foresight Analyst in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Strategic Foresight Unit, Department of the Secretary General, in Paris, France.  Zooming from South Africa, Ms. Markle discussed “Leadership for Uncertain Times.”

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: My favorite memory is my experience working with friends to create the student organization, originally called Cafe con Leche, that eventually became Firsthand Coffee. I fondly remember our highly caffeinated meetings and early outreach on campus, trying to hook everyone who walked by with the line, "Hey, do you know where your coffee comes from?" Creating Firsthand will always be one of my proudest accomplishments.

Photo of Elizabeth Minchau smiling at camera. She has straight hair and is wearing a red shirt. 

Elizabeth (Wilson) Minchau (OoA 1999), a  Clinical Assistant Professor for the WVU School of Nursing and a Family Nurse Practitioner for the WVUM Departments of Family and Emergency Medicine, highlighted the importance of “Compassion in Action.”

Favorite Mountaineer Memory:  I was the President of the Student Nursing Association while at WVU. A major goal of this group was to create and implement meaningful service projects. During my senior year, we developed a service project called, "Puppies for Patients." We went to the local dog shelter and took several of the small dogs and puppies to a local nursing home for the residents to play with. Watching the joy on the faces of those residents, and seeing the love the shelter dogs showed them, was a pivotal moment in my life. Such a small act of service brought so much happiness and spread so much love! That experience was one of my proudest Mountaineer moments! 

Head shot of Jason Pizatella wearing a suit smiling at camera. He has short brown hair and a beard.  

Jason Pizatella, Esq. (OoA 2004) an attorney with Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC, discussed “Public Policy.”

Photo of Victoria Reiser smiling at camera. She is wearing a blue shirt and has long straight blonde hair.

Victoria Reiser (OoA 2015), a Staff Nurse Practitioner on Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy Unit at UPMC Cancer Centers, discussed the concept of resiliency in “Empowering Resilient Leaders.”   

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: My favorite collection of memories was my opportunity to travel on a study abroad trip to Spain. A group of us Mountaineers became lifelong friends, some met their lifetime partners, and we became more confident and global citizens. I still have pictures from this trip hanging on the wall in our bedroom in the apartment I share with my boyfriend. 

Photo of Steven Robinson wearing a suit. He has straight brown hair and a beard.

Steven Robison (OoA, 2012) is the Director of Operational Security for the International Justice Mission.  His presentation on “Multicultural Leadership” highlighted the skills necessary for engaging with multicultural teams. 

Favorite Mountaineer Memory: I spent a lot of time sitting in the lobby of Woodburn Hall, whether preparing for class or just taking a moment to gather my thoughts. I remember fondly many advising and class sessions with Dr. Joe Hagan and Dr. Robert DiClerico, both for challenging me intellectually and encouraging me to push positive boundaries.

A Few Leadership Takeaways from Spring 2021 

Presidential Augusta Ambassador Leadership Lecture Series

Drescher: It is important to approach leadership in a way that creates an inclusive environment for people with many different backgrounds, identities, and abilities.

Hanshaw:  Never, ever forget: Leadership is a privilege. 

Image of students standing together with the words "Never, ever forget: Leadership is a priveledge." written underneath.

Kiess:  Leadership lessons include: 

-Learn to forgive

- Keep working. you never know how close you may be to "making it."

-Never forget your "why"

-Be flexible

-Never forget where you come from

Markle: The digital revolution, breakthroughs in renewable energy technologies and the current coronavirus pandemic are examples of the types of, large-scale disruptions 21st century leaders have faced and are likely to face again. The ability to lead in the face of an uncertain future is therefore not a luxury: it is a requirement.

power point slid with the words "the future ain't what it used to be" by yogi Berra, ...and neither is good leadership"

M inchau: On compassion...
image reading "7 things compassionate leaders say everyday. 1. What are we learning? 2. Lead from where you are. 3. How can I best support you? 4. Help me understand. 5. How can we do this better? 6. I believe in you. 7. We are in this together.

Reiser:
  The concept of Resiliency…as it pertains to fostering healthy and empowered leaders during times of trauma, conflict, and challenges… began with nursing, and healthcare is now at the forefront of an international crisis.

Harrison: Take the route for you, prestige vs. practicality, resume packing, listening to others vs. yourself, working on unpopular movements can cause significant strife, financial responsibilities can and after graduation, think beyond now -

Robison: 
Key themes for operating both internationally and cross-culturally

Reconnect with us and share your journey by completing
the Order of Augusta Online Update form.  

Reconnect with us.

Request to join our WVU Order of Augusta Facebook group if you haven't already! 
Contact Dr. Carolyn P. Atkins, Coordinator, Carolyn.Atkins@mail.wvu.edu